I think we have a new favorite snack around here!! And, it is actually healthy!!!
The other night, Chris and I had some humus as one of the courses in our anniversary dinner. We talked to the owner of the restaurant while we ate our dessert and he gave me some of the info for the recipe so I made my version for our Memorial Day BBQ.
This stuff is good!!!
Easy & Delicious Humus (that’s my name for it!)
- 3 cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 T minced garlic
- fresh mint to taste (I used about 5 stems – pulled off the leaves only)
- 1/4 c olive oil + more to make desired consistency
- lemon juice to taste (I used about 3 T)
- 1 t vinegar (any white) – I used a white wine vinegar
- 1/2 t sugar
- salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
Pulse until smooth, adding olive oil as needed.
Serve with fresh veggies – we used baby carrots, green pepper slices and sliced cucumber.
I stole a sample before our friends came over:I can’t believe that I’ve never made this – so good!!!
I used to think that making stuffed mushrooms was only for “fancy” cooks!! Who knew they were so easy to make?!
- 1 package cream cheese, softened (I use 1/3 fat)
- 1 package bacon bits
- chopped green onion (your preference on amount)
- garlic powder
- 1 lb whole fresh mushrooms
Pop the stems out of the mushrooms. Clean the mushrooms set on oven proof platter. Mix the cream cheese, bacon, onion and garlic. Fill each mushroom.
Broil for about 4-6 minutes (till cheese begins to brown).
This is one of my all-time favorites! I have taken it to more functions than I can count!!! (Plus, it is actually pretty healthy if you don’t eat too many of the tortilla chips with it!!)
- frozen corn (about 16 oz) – I never thaw it in advance
- 2 cans sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 (or 2 depending on your preference!) can black beans, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- minced garlic (your preference)
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 3 T cider vinegar
- 1 t dried oregano
- little salt & pepper
- 4 (or more!) medium ripe avocados
- Tortilla chips
Combine corn, olives, beans, red pepper and onion in a large bowl. Mix garlic, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over corn mixture and stir well. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, chop avocados and stir into salsa.