I have been making this chili recipe since before Jordan was born, maybe longer. (14.5 years ago). I started with a basic recipe and tweaked it until it was just the way we liked it!!!
Once, when Jordan was still little & Hunter wasn’t even born, I made a batch of it and there was so much left that I sent a crock pot to work with Chris the next day. He plugged it in the break room and left it while he went to fly. Well, he didn’t realize it (for some weird reason???) but they were having a chili cook-off that day. He came back from flying and our chili was gone (I’m pretty sure he had some from someone else!!!). Crazy thing??? – I WON!!! Left-over chili took home the prize!!!
OK…the recipe for Kim’s Crock Pot Chili
- 2-3 lb lean ground beef (I always use 2 – it is very lean – we buy a 1/2 side, have for years!! – I never even have to drain it after browning!!)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- chili powder, your preference
- Cayenne pepper, your preference
- Season salt, your preference
- 1 can or bottle Tomato juice
- 2 envelopes chili seasoning
- 1 can Kidney beans, drained
- 1 can Pinto beans, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chopped green chilies
- salt & pepper to taste, if desired (I never add any)
Brown beef with onions and bell pepper. (Drain, if necessary.)
In crock pot, mix beans, tomatoes, green chilies, and season packets.
Add meat mixture to beans. Pour in tomato juice and add the extra spices to taste for your desired level of heat. Mix well.
Cover. Cook on high 1-2 hours or low 3-4 hours (or until heated through).
You could change this and make it with ground turkey if you prefer. You could also drop the meat to 1 pound and add in extra beans and tomatoes. Just depends on how you like it.
And…. I’m still a Texan even though I like beans in my chili!!!!