I have never made Gumbo before but I thought it would be fun to try some! Cold and snowy outside – warm, filling soup inside!!!
I looked at lots of recipes and then sort-of combined and deleted the things that we like/don’t care for!
Chicken & Rice Gumbo Soup
- diced, chicken breasts (I use the precut, precooked bags – cause I’m all about convenience!)
- package of smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 carrot sticks, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 soup cans water
- 2 T chicken bouillon granules
- dried thyme (I just shook some in)
- 1 package frozen cut okra
- hot cooked rice (I made 3 cups in the rice cooker)
Mix all ingredients except okra and rice in crock pot.
Stir in okra during the last hour. (I just dumped the frozen stuff right in!)
Spoon rice into bowl and top with gumbo. If you want it spicy, by all means add hot sauce. (We did not.) I toasted up some French bread so we would have a crusty bread to dip into the soup – so good!!!
As Chris said – “This was a homey & hearty meal.”