Today’s 44 was a fairly simple move. Plie calf raises while holding your arms straight out (I held 5 pound dumbbells for this).
I tried to hold each calf raise for about 2 seconds – lots of wobbling!! And my arms were burning my the end!!!
I did a quick 4 mile run (1.5% incline – 26:36) and my 100 jumping lunges. The workout had to be short because I have to hit the road!!!
Surprises – I think that everyone has different thoughts on whether or not they like them or hate them. And, I guess it depends on whether it’s a good surprise or a bad surprise!
Today I’m planning to surprise one of my very favorite people and I can’t wait!!! I’m making a super quick trip to Texas (driving down today and home tomorrow) – about 15 hours of driving for this surprise.
My sister-in-law, Stacy
is running her first marathon on Sunday in Ft. Worth. Last fall I thought about running this weekend, too. I was going to run the 50K (31 miles) instead of the actual marathon.
However, the more I thought about it, the more I decided that this weekend was Stacy’s!!! I talked to her earlier in the week and told her I wasn’t going to run after all (and she thinks that I’m not coming because of that!!!).
Going down just to watch and support Stacy will be much better!!! This way instead of thinking about my race and not even getting to see her, I will be there to support her 100%!!
Now, I just need to find a cowbell! Shouldn’t be too hard on the drive today!!!
Do you like surprises or would you rather know in advance what’s coming up?
The video is super dark because Jordan doesn’t believe in light in the morning – he’s 15!!!
2 weeks ago, I walked into a nasty disgusting apartment and had a little freak out!!!
Today we have new tenants moving in!!!! In a short (BUSY) 2 weeks the apartment has undergone a huge transformation!!!
In the last 2 weeks – we hauled out 2 dumpsters full of stuff plus a couch and several other pieces of furniture, cleaned the nastiness, primed, painted, repaired numerous broken things (good thing Chris is super handy!!), did another cleaning (that’s how gross it was) and hung curtains.
The apartment went from being a place that I couldn’t stand to a super cute apartment with a lot of character!!!
In 2 months, we’ve turned over 2 of the 3 apartments – I hope that we don’t have to do this again any time soon!!!!
Today a did a dancing inspired move for my 44. (Relax – I didn’t actually dance – that would be scary!!!) I did a plie to a releve – sounds fancy, huh?
This was actually a nice 44 – I kept a slow steady pace through the motions and really enjoyed it.
I went old-school today for my workout – The Firm – Bootcamp Maximum Calorie Burn. I have always been a fan of the The Firm workouts and this one is great – 50+ minutes of toning (fairly light weights), plyo moves and cardio segments.
Filters are useful for keeping the “bad” stuff out!!! Sometimes I forget to use the filter that controls things I say or even things that I write.
Yesterday in my post about writing like you talk one of the comments was to the effect that in writing it is easier to go back and edit things. So very true – unless for some reason you don’t. A lot of times when I’m telling Chris something about my day, I add a lot of thoughts that I didn’t really say out-loud but I sure did think them!!!! Other times, I slip and say something that if I had taken a few seconds to think through would have never come out.
When I comment on blogs, I try to really think about what I write. My goal is never to be negative or snarky on someone else’s blog.
The other night I totally blew it!!! I wrote something on impulse (no filter), clicked publish (or whatever the button is) and immediately regretted it. The sad thing is, you can’t delete a comment on someone else’s site. (I did go back and type a reply saying that I was sorry and should have never left the comment I did but still…..)
I love the little reminder about thinking!!! I try to always keep it in mind especially when I comment on other blogs because I really believe that everyone is entitled to write whatever they feel/believe on their site and it is not my place to judge or be rude.
Have you ever left a comment and then immediately regretted it?
Happy Fun Friday!!! I’m off to replace my filter!!!
Today for my 43 I went with another move from Nellie @ Brooklyn Active Mama. Her Wednesday workouts always are a great source of inspiration for me and yesterday’s move was a good one – Side-to-Side Plies. I changed it up a little – I added a weight (20 pound kettle bell) and I lifted my knees out to the side instead of across my body.
This was a good move – fairly short even for 43 and very effective! BTW – I counted a right knee and a left knee as 1 rep.
Today was Garage Boot Camp – I thought it would be cooler since it had been raining but I was WRONG!!! It was muggy! Oh well, we still had fun. We did the Tone & Hold workout. I like this one because once you finish working a particular muscle group (to exhaustion!) you are done with it and don’t repeat any of the same moves!!!
Yesterday morning when I drove Hunter to school we were talking about my Daily 43s and the fact that I have almost achieved my goal of completing a 43 every day for a year and blogging every day!
Hunter said, “You haven’t made it yet. A lot could happen and you might not get the next 4 days.”
What?! Has he not met me?!
I’m not sure what he thinks is going to keep me from succeeding – I told him that I did a 43 the day after I had surgery, on all the holidays, on vacation, when I had to take rush trips to TX for illness or death – nothing has kept me from getting in a 43 yet so why would he think that the next few days would be any different?! Silly!!
He seemed to think that Friday might trick me up!!! I guess I will just have to show him that even Friday the 13th isn’t going to stop me!!!
I’m actually down to just 3 more days – Friday, Saturday and Sunday – and I will have 365 days of 43s!!!!
I have enjoyed the challenge of a daily activity so much that I’m planning another year of it. Monday I will start my daily 44s!!!! (starting with 44 miles)
So, even if Hunter has some doubts, I know that I’m going to make my goal and start off strong for the next year!!!
Today for my 43 I did a plie squat with a curl to press.
43 of these really got my heart rate up and with 8 pound dumbbells, my shoulders were feeling the last few!!!
I decided to do a Cathe Friederech workout today – Cross Fire. This is an hour of lots of HIIT plus weight thrown in – awesome!!!
Today Chris celebrates his 45th birthday. I don’t think he plans to run 45 miles (weird, I thought everyone did that kind of thing!!!) or do 45 of any other exercise – so I decided that I would do a special 45 today for Chris.
45 Fun Facts about Chris:
1. His name is actually Thomas Christopher. He is the 3rd generation Thomas _______. We thought about naming Jordan – Thomas Jordan but I didn’t want him to do the whole middle name thing.
2. He had a full beard in high school.
3. When Chris was young he put an un-popped popcorn kernel in his ear. It popped (the kernel) and got stuck – lesson learned!!!
4. Chris has 4 sisters – 3 that are older than him and 1 younger. He always says that his parents tried 4 times to get it “right” and then they pushed their luck!! Of course he is joking because he loves all of his sisters.
5. Chris played football, wrestled and ran track in high school.
6. Chris was in lots of musicals in high school – often with the lead role.
7. He graduated 2nd out of about 77 students.
8. When Chris was 17, he went to San Antonio for Basic Training. He had on white jeans when he got there – big mistake – the instructors called him Don Johnson!!! Thankfully after they all had their heads shaved and had uniforms on he blended in and was no longer Don!!!
9. In 1989, Chris quit drinking soda (he used to drink more soda than anything else) cold turkey and hasn’t had any since.
10. When we first met he only ate chicken and rice – that didn’t last long!!!
11. Chris lived in Korea for a year when he was active duty in the Air Force – he was only 19-20 at the time.
12. He got his degree from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University.
13. We don’t run together – we tried it when we first got married and it wasn’t the best plan. Chris is able to run 3 miles at pretty much any given time but he doesn’t really care about running fast or much further than 3 miles.
14. Chris worked as a trash man for awhile in high school!!
15. He taught himself to play the guitar.
16. He also taught himself to play golf.
17. When Chris was in Korea, he was the singer in a band. They mostly did Led Zepplin songs!!!
18. Chris is still best friends with one of his high school buddies – Matt.
19. Thanks to his job (pilot in the Air National Guard), he has been to over 50 countries!!!
20. When his mom was still alive he called her every Sunday no matter where he was at the time.
21. At one point he owned 3 Volkswagon Bugs – all old and in need of work.
22. When we buy new cars, Chris is always prepared. He knows what the car is worth and how much the dealer will make. He is good at negotiating and getting the exact price he wants.
23. Chris is a good cook. He will look up recipes (on the internet, for some reason he never uses any of my cookbooks!) and try new things!!!
24. Chris would rather be home with his family than just about anywhere else!!
25. He graduated from Pilot Training on May 24, 1996 (the day before we got married).
26. Every year when he takes the fitness test he sends me his results – usually prefaced with “I have the body of a 19 year old!”
27. Chris is the kind of guy that will always help out someone in need without them ever having to ask.
28. When we met, Chris didn’t really watch a lot of sports on TV. He started watching sports with me – especially college basketball.
29. He doesn’t say negative things about people – I could really learn a lot here!!!
30. Chris is good at looking at the big picture. He will ask himself, “will this matter in 10 year?”
31. He rarely cusses!!! Or gets mad! (we are sort-of opposites)
32. Chris is super handy – he has made built in shelves, tiled floors, installed wall ovens, built composite decks (2nd story ones!!) – pretty much anything that needs done he can figure out how to do it.
33. He is a very hands-on Dad.
34. An older man gave him some advice when we got married and he has applied it many times and shared it with other young men. The man said, “The 6 most important words in a marriage – You’re right, I’m wrong, I’m sorry!” Chris has always remembered that and he still says it (more often than he really has to but he does it to keep the peace!).
35. He sang to me at our wedding! Beautiful in my Eyes by Joshua Kadison
36. When the boys were little babies, Chris was the calm one. He said there are only a few things that could be wrong – hungry, tired, need to burp or need a diaper change.
37. The first few months of each of the boys lives (when they were waking up every few hours), Chris would get them when they cried, change their diapers, hand them to me to feed, then burp them and put them back to bed.
38. He used to hate getting rid of anything – garage sales caused him a bit of stress and he saved every empty box “just in case”. Now, he has gotten much better at getting rid of stuff and he throws away empty boxes.
39. One of his favorite movies is Ben Hur.
40. Chris is pretty much always happy, always whistling or humming or snapping his fingers as he walks around.
41. Chris is a doer and a server! He is always waiting on me or others. He is always willing to get up and wait on others – me, the boys, our friends.
42. The boys have the very best role model possible in Chris. He has taught them that they can do anything and also how to be caring, compassionate men. Things like opening doors, thanking people for a meal, offering to help carry stuff – they have learned many life lessons from Chris. They have also learned that men/dads/boys can cook, clean, do laundry, iron and any other task around the house.
43. Chris is the very best dad ever for our boys!!!
44. Chris is the my best friend!!
45. Chris has made me the luckiest person in the world because he picked me to marry and have a family with. He is the very best person I know!!!
Happy Birthday, Chris!!!! I love you!
PS – I know Chris will read this because he has read my blog every day since I started and almost always sends me a text after he reads it.